Vote to ban RVs as permanent living spaces in Miramar delayed. Here’s what to know
Without explanation, the highly anticipated final vote by Miramar commissioners to ban RVs as permanent living spaces within the city was postponed Wednesday and moved to the June 3 meeting.
City officials say the practice of using RVs as homes in residential neighborhoods is straining infrastructure, with police identifying 80 RVs in one eastern Historic Miramar zone alone.
FULL STORY: Miramar commission to take final vote on RV rentals ban. Here’s what to know
Here are key takeaways:
- Commissioner Yvette Colbourne is sponsoring the measure, which would close loopholes in parking and zoning codes that have allowed property owners to place RVs on residential lots and rent them out as living spaces.
- Miramar Police Chief Delrish Moss wrote in a recent memo that the existing code is being “circumvented and misused,” straining utilities, parking and city services due to unaccounted residents in single-family homes.
- Residents have complained of rodents attracted by makeshift sewer lines, blocked streets and a “truck-stop” feel taking over neighborhoods. Resident Charlene Cooper told commissioners last month there is “a decline in our quality of life.”
- Mayor Wayne Messam said he understands the economic conditions driving the trend but said the practice must be stopped.
- The ordinance would create a formal RV registration process, aligning Miramar’s rules with neighboring jurisdictions such as Hialeah.
This report was produced with the assistance of a proprietary tool powered by artificial intelligence and using our own originally reported, written and published content. It was reviewed and edited by our journalists.